How to Transfer UTM Parameters
A UTM tag is a small snippet of code consisting of a parameter and its value. You add UTM tags to the end of your URL in order to monitor the performance of your marketing channels (including campaigns) through analytics systems, for example, Google Analytics (GA).
You don't need to adjust integration with analytical systems to get UTM tags from eSputnik. A tag is automatically transferred as soon as the user has taken any action. You can turn off auto-tagging and generate UTM tags manually.
To specify parameters for a UTM tag, go to your personal profile > Settings > Laboratory and enable UTM tags.
To ensure that every channel (Email, Viber, Web Push, Mob Push, etc.) is auto-tagged correctly, enter the parameter $mediaType in the field Campaign channel utm_medium for each channel (specified by default). Otherwise, campaigns from all channels will be recorded in GA to the channel specified in this field.
UTM parameters can be required and optional.
Required parameters include:
- $type – message type (bulk/triggered);
- $mediaType – media channel (email/SMS);
- $messageName – message name;
- $messageId – message ID;
- $contactId – contact ID;
- $messageTags – message tags.
Optional parameters include:
- $messageInstanceId – ID of the message variant. When the campaign is launched, the system generates for each message its messageInstanceId. This is an ID of the particular campaign. For example, you send one email to five different segments. All five campaigns will have the same messageId but different messageInstanceId. Use this parameter to compare the performance of one email sent to different segments;
- $dateStart – campaign start date;
- $groupName – segment title;
- $contactInfoHash – parameter that transfers the value email + SMS + contact name in the encrypted form, for example, t1pdmFuLmtoCXxlem92'GVzcTV0bmlrLmNvbS'wPTM4MFk1MzY1OTM3My'uRT. You need to decrypt it on your website;
- $messageLang – message language for multilingual messages.
To track any of these parameters, specify them in the field Campaign title or Campaign term.
How to Add UTM Tags to a Message
By default, the system automatically generates tags that Google Analytics tracks.
There are two ways to add your tags to an email:
1. Add links with generated UTM tags to the template.
- Go to Messages > Messages and choose the necessary email. Open additional settings and click Specify links settings.
- Disable Transmission of UTM tags.
- Add links with your tags to corresponding fields.
This method can be used to track conversions of different email elements, for example, CTA, banner, etc.
Manually added tags always have the highest priority even when Transmission of UTM tags is enabled.
2. Edit tags straight in the template.
- Go to Messages > Messages and choose the necessary email. Open additional settings, click Specify links settings and edit the necessary parameters.
If you set up UTM tags in the template but don’t disable tags in the account settings, tags set in the email will have priority over the tags enabled in the settings.
When you copy an email, you copy it together with its UTM tags. Thus, statistics on several campaigns sent from copies of one email will get into one report where it is impossible to track performance of each campaign. If you add tags manually, add them separately to each copy. Similarly, if you save an email with manually added tags as a template, all emails created based on this template will have its tags. Disable Track URLs and the data will not be transferred to Google Analytics.
Viber and Web Push
UTM tags are enabled for Viber messages and web push notifications by default.
The necessary tags are set in Laboratory. Specify $mediaType in the field Campaign channel utm_medium so that data is tracked separately for each channel.
To transfer custom parameters, disable UTM tags and manually add the link with generated UTM tags in the message editor.
UTM tags are enabled for SMS by default if the corresponding option is enabled in Laboratory and the parameter $mediaType is specified in the field Campaign channel utm_medium.
If necessary, you can generate your link with UTM tags but it needs to be shortened.
UTM tags aren't transfered for mobile pushes automatically. You need to add tags to each message manually.