How to Set Up Double Opt-In
Double Opt-In (DOI) is a subscription confirmation that is an official requirement by many current customer privacy policies (GDPR). After filling in the subscription form, the user receives a confirmation email and by clicking the link in it, they confirm their email address and agree to receive promotional content from you.
If you need one, please, contact our support and fill in the application. Our team will create a free subscription form (one per new user) in your corporate style and send you a code that you will have to install on the website.
You also need to create a confirmation email and two workflows that will be launched one after another. One workflow will send a confirmation email, and another will make the contact active.
Create a Confirmation Email
1. In Messages > Messages, click Create email and choose a welcome email from basic templates.
2. For your convenience, it already has the default text and button. Edit the template according to your needs.
3. Assign an event to this email, that is to its confirmation link or CTA. An event is a signal about the customer’s action (subscription) that is sent to the system and triggers certain workflows.
Click the CTA block, and select a pre-created event (Click category) in Event type in the settings on the left. Click Save.
Note. You can add the link to your own confirmation page. It’s standard by default but you can direct subscribers to your own corporate page.
Create Confirmation Workflows
Workflow to Send a Confirmation Email
The first workflow is launched after the user fills in the subscription form.
1. Go to Automation > Event types and click Create new event. Fill the fields, and choose Subscribe/Unsubscribe in Category. For your convenience, if you use our subscription form, name the created event Filled form. If you use your form, name the created event subscribeFromApi.
2. Go to Workflows and click Add new workflow. Enter a workflow name and build the following workflow:
It should include the block Task with two required fields filled:
- Task name – Obligatory email;
- messageId – the confirmation email you have created at the previous step.
You can build a more complex workflow with Timer and the Condition block Contact confirmed:
3. Click Save.
Workflow to Confirm a Contact in the System
The second workflow is launched after the user clicks the confirmation link in a confirmation email.
1. In Automation > Workflows, click Add new workflow. Enter the workflow name and build the following workflow:
It should include the block Task with a required field:
- Task name – Confirm contact.
3. Click Save.
Set Up Triggers
1. In Automation > Workflows, choose the first workflow and click Trigger configuration.
2. In On event, select Filled form or subscribeFromApi (the event you've created above).
3. If needed, set up a launch condition (1 hour by default). You can opt that the users who fill in the subscription form several times a day still receive only one confirmation email. In case of re-subscribe, another event - subscribeUpdateFromApi - will be sent. The confirmation email won't be sent, and the contact data will be updated. Click Apply.
Follow-Up Welcome Series
You can add a welcome email or a series of welcome emails to your contact confirmation workflow. They will be sent after the contact confirms subscription and gets active in the system. You can vary the number of welcome emails depending on your needs.
Note! A contact becomes available (active) for your campaigns only after they confirm their subscription in the confirmation email. You cannot send bulk campaigns to inactivated contacts.
After all the settings, run a test: fill in the form on the website and check if your email address gets to the segment Subscribers in the system. This segment is default, but if you send contact data via API, you can specify the segment name in the request.
1. If you have several forms that are assigned to different confirmation emails, you need to create separate workflows and events for each form.
For the event category Click, Key is a required field. The text is optional, but we recommend using Latin without numbers. For example: click, subscription, confirmation, etc.