How to Create a Welcome Email Series
Customer data is often sent to eSputnik using the subscribe API method. In this case, the subscriber is added to the database as an unconfirmed contact. You can't send promotional emails to unsubscribed contacts without their permission to receive them from you.
To get the customer's permission, you need to ask them to validate their email address by sending a confirmation email through a Double Opt-In series. The next step is to send a welcome series.
The design of a welcome series will depend on your marketing goals.
In this article, we’ll create a standard series consisting of two welcome emails. Since it is preceded by a double confirmation, thanking for the subscription is recommended in the first message. A discount or promotional code can also be a good start of the conversation. In the second message, you can tell more about the company and introduce the subscriber to other communication channels (social media, push notifications, YouTube, etc.).
Step 1. Create welcome emails.
Before getting started, we recommend you read a full guideline on how to create an email in the eSputnik drag-and-drop editor.
1. Go to Messages > Messages and click Create Email.
2. For the first email, in Basic, select a Welcome template or create your own template. Fill it with your content and edit as needed.
To add a promo code to an email, use any of the 7 methods described in this article.
3. For the second message, select a Form template or create your own onboarding email. Fill it with your content and edit as needed.
4. To preview ready emails on desktop and mobile, click View message (1). To send test emails, click Test (2).
5. Click Save.
Step 2. Create a workflow.
You need to create a workflow to send emails automatically:
- In response to user actions;
- Based on selected conditions;
- In the set order;
- At a certain time.
We’ll create a standard workflow that would look as follows:
Before getting started, we recommend you read a full instruction on how to create a workflow in the eSputnik drag-and-drop editor.
1. Go to Automation > Workflows and click New workflow.
2. Enter its name and optionally description.
3. Create a workflow with the following blocks:
- Start (General). Required. Automatically starts any workflow.
- Task Confirm contact (General). Confirm contact is a default task. To set it manually, select Confirm contact in Task name on the right.
- Email (Actions). Select the first email in Message on the right.
- Timer (General). Set a time gap before the second message in Wait on the right. It’s recommended to select 3 to 5 days between two emails.
- Email (Actions). Select the second email in Message on the right.
- End (General). Required.
All blocks must be connected to each other.
4. Click Save.
Step 3. Launch the workflow.
The subscriber confirms their address by clicking the corresponding button in the confirmation email. This button is assigned to the event Confirm subscription.
This event signifies to the system that the subscriber has given his consent to receiving emails from you and triggers a welcome series.
To assign the event to the workflow, go to Automation > Workflows, select the necessary workflow and click Trigger configuration.
In On event > Event type, select Confirm subscription.
Click Start to launch the workflow.