An event is a signal about changes in the user profile. Events can be generated by changes in the profile field values, by user activity or inactivity (on the website, in campaigns), or by pre-configured API requests. They are used to launch triggered campaigns i. e. serve as triggers. As soon as the system receives a signal about a certain event (for example, a click or added product), it automatically launches the corresponding workflow.
Events can be generated both in the eSputnik system and in external systems such as CRM or CMS. In the second case, events are sent to eSputnik via API.
There are 6 event categories in the eSputnilk system:
1. Click: generated by a click on the link in the email assigned to the event. This is a default category. Read more on how to assign a workflow to a CTA.
2. Subscribe/Unsubscribe: generated by a click on Subscribe/Unsubscribe in the subscription form or on the unsubscribe page. This is a service category that is configured by eSputnik support when they create the corresponding form.
3. Other: generated by all custom events that can be created manually or sent via API, for example, website registration, adds to cart, etc.
- Abandoned cart: generated when the visitor adds products to cart but doesn’t complete the order. The event is sent via API and is assigned to the Other category.
- Abandoned view: generated when the visitor views products but leaves the website without making a purchase. The event is sent via API and is assigned to the Other category.
4. RFM: generated when subscribers migrate between segments depending on their activity. The category is chosen when you set up triggers based on RFM analysis (R – the time since the last activity (purchase/open); F – the frequency of purchases or opens; M – money customers spent). For example, you can set up a trigger when users move from the segment "bought 3 months ago" to the segment "bought 6 months ago" category, and send corresponding reactivation campaigns in time.
5. Import: a default category that is used to launch a workflow after contact import. You can also create other events in the Import category on your own. For example, import of male contacts only can launch one workflow, and import of female contacts only – another.
6. Notification: a service category that is automatically created after trigger failure alerts settings.
Events from the categories Link and Other are most common, events from RFM and Import are less common. To facilitate the automation process, the following most often used events are available in the system by default:
- Confirmed subscription (Click);
- Import of new contacts (Import);
- Filled form (Subscribe/Unsubscribe).
How to Create an Event
You can create events automatically (via API) or manually.
The event sent via API is automatically registered in the Other category. Read more on API integration.
To create an event manually:
1. Go to Automation > Event types and click Create New Event.
2. Fill in Name (required).
3. Fill in Key (required). A key is a unique event identifier that is registered in the system. You can enter any text in Latin, with numbers allowed, for example, click, sale1, etc. The main requirement is that the key should be unique for every event.
4. In Category, select the necessary event category.
5. Leave Linked workflow not selected. It will automatically indicate the workflow you’ll assign the event to. Any workflow can be assigned to any event.
6. Leave Run no more than once every___ hours empty. After you assign the event to the workflow and specify the frequency of unique events precessing (Automation > Workflows > Trigger configuration > On event), the specified configuration will automatically get indicated here:
- no value – if you select once for all time;
- 0 – if you select each time;
- > 0 – if you select start no more than once in ... hours/days/weeks/months. In this case, the next time the workflow will start no earlier than the specified time after the previous launch. For example, if you specify 24 hours, the first event will launch the workflow immediately, but all other events for the same contact occurred within 24 hours will be ignored. The new event will be able to launch the workflow only 24 hours later.
You can restrict the repeated launch so that the user does not receive the same messages when performing repetitive actions (order, abandoned cart, abandoned browse) within a specified period of time.
7. If you're subscribed to Segmentation by events, enable Use event for contact segmentation. Segmentation primarily applies to user-generated events sent via API. To subscribe, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Click Add.
The created event will appear in the general list of Event types.
To edit the necessary event, click it in the list. To delete it, click the … icon on the right.
How to Launch a Triggered Campaign on Event
Creation will differ depending on the event category, but the main steps are as follows:
Step 1. Create an event.
Create an event manually or send it via API. All created events are displayed in Automation > Event types.
Step 2. Create a workflow.
Create a workflow that will be launched by the created event. For example:
- click in the email (Click);
- subscription (Subscribe/Unsubscribe);
- import of new contacts (Import);
- migration of subscribers from active to passive (RFM);
- website activity (Other, Abandoned cart, Abandoned view).
1. Go to Automation > Workflows and click Add new workflow.
2. Enter the workflow name and description (optionally).
3. Build the workflow by dragging the necessary blocks and connecting them. End each path with the block End.
This is an example of the workflow that will be triggered by a click on the Learn more button in the email. All contacts that have clicked this button will be added to a separate segment Opened, and will receive an additional message with details of the previous offer.
Step 3. Assign the event to the workflow.
1. Go to Automation > Workflows and click Trigger configuration.
2. In On event, select the event and enable the necessary option:
- Each time: to launch the workflow each time the repeat event is sent for the same contact. For example, choose this option for the Order trigger. Each time your customer makes an order, they will receive a corresponding email (for example, confirmation). If they make 3 separate orders per day, they will receive 3 messages.
- Once for all time: to launch the workflow only once regardless of the number of events sent for the same contact. For example, choose this option for a welcome series after the first purchase: no matter how many orders the customer makes, they will receive only one welcome series.
- Start no more than once in ___ hours/days/weeks/months: to launch the workflow once within a given period of time. For example, choose once in 1 hour for abandoned carts. If the same customer abandons cart 3 times in an hour, the workflow will process only one event and send only one message.
3. Click Apply.
The event will appear in Status of the configured workflow. The workflow will appear in Linked workflow of the assigned event.
Step 4. Launch the workflow.
Click the Start icon and confirm your action.
The status of the workflow will change to active.
After you assign the event to the workflow, this event sent to the system will trigger the workflow launch for the contact whose information (email address, phone number, token) is sent in the event. Contact information is sent in the event and is its integral part.
You can view the events sent to the system in Automation > Event history. If no events have been sent, the tab will be empty.
After the triggered campaign launch, you'll be able to track events sent to eSputnik, filter them by name and time, and search by key. The general list of events features the following information: event name, unique key, linked workflow, found contact for segmentation, date the uniqueness key, the contact found (if event segmentation is used), the associated scenario, and date.
Click the event to see what parameters it has sent.
This information will allow you to monitor the workflow in progress.
If you have any questions, please contact our support.