Why the Field “From” Is One of the Most Important Email Elements
What kind of email address is better to use for email campaigns. I suggest you digging this topic deeper: how the «Sender / From» field can affect your email. This point is often overlooked, even though, in practice, it is one of the most important factors affecting the open rate.
The From field field consists of 3 parts: «signature» <name@domain>.
Each of them is important in its own way, let's look at them separately.
The Signature of the Sender
The first things that draws attention are — email sender name and subject line, which make reader decide, whether click on «spam», «Move to Trash» or still read the letter. When the client knows and trusts the sender — this is a good reason to open the letter, isn't it? You always have a choice, on whose behalf is better to send:
- From the Company. If you don’t have enough info about client, or you are just starting to chat with him. Later, it would be better to personalize the field to increase the percentage of openability.
- From the Brand. If you have already had certain information about you client, make the right choice, which is more meaningful for the recipient: manufactured goods, or the name of your company?
- From You. Do not use fake personal names to communicate with managers or potential clients. If the client wants you to answer or message doesn't reach him/her — you will not even know about it.
- From an Employee. First, it gives the subscriber interaction with a real person, that helps strengthen the relationship with the company. Secondly, you will have an employee directly responsible for writing a particular client.
You should agree that if you leave the address without the name and signature — it looks a little strange and tells anything to the client.
We deliver to Inboxes!
Sender's Name: Best Practices
The signature is not displayed in some email clients, or only part of it is visible . In this case, the name in the email address will help us out.
- Make sure that the sender's name is noticeable, reliable and recognizable.
- Do not use unclear names like <email@example.com>; it is better to leave the common address, like «info», «office», etc.
- Do not use spammer techniques, using advertising phrases. There might be a miracle and a letter will go over spam filters, but it is hard to deceive readers. It is unlikely that they have an acquaintance with the names like «Get the prize» или «Win an IPhone», <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- If you use a personal e-mail as the sender's name, consider what will happen if the employee leaves the company.
- If you are not interested in clients opinion, put noreply. But it is better not to do so.
Having the letter opened, the reader sees the name in the email header. If it contains the signature and the name — the recipient can easily «recognize» the sender.
The name of the address seems to be sorted out. Now let's see what comes after the «@» symbol.
It is better to use the domain of your site in email campaign address.There are several reasons for that:
- If the address specified as a common name, and after «@» there is no company name, the reader may not even figure out who wrote this email.
- Name of the contact person with a recognizable address can improve emails readability.
- Personalization of the field with the name of a person, if he is well known and directly related to the type of message you are sending. For example, the manager engaged in workshops or manager who provides regular mailings.
- If you have multiple sites, where users are registered, the particular site name should be used in a sender name and domain.
Please fill in the fields, depending on what kind of emails you send: blog updates, discounts, promotions, etc. So it will be easier to manage mailing lists, filter emails and track the responses to them. But do not change the address of the sender too often. Firstly, if you use a different address for mailings — it will be difficult for the client to figure out who wrote it, or to restore the history of correspondence. Secondly, the readers could have already added your old address to the address book or set up filters for your address.
- Pay particular attention to a signature based on the characteristics of your subscribers.
- Use the corporate domain.
- Use a corporate account, not personal, if you are not a brand by yourself.
- Try not to change the sender's address.
I hope this article will be helpful for you. If you have your methods of using the «From» field, please let us know, so that our readers knew about it! We appreciate your opinion!